Monday, June 15, 2009

Bird Police! Or How I scored $1,000.00 for Delaware!


I'm The Bird Police!  Someone has to do it!
        So there I sat with my floppy hat, in my LL Bean beach chair, with my Nikon Bino's spying on a fishing boat that pulled onto Cape Henlopen State Park's, The Point.  Out of the boat poured the 3 male adults and one bouncy doggie into the restricted and flagged mud flat and dune area.  The dog went crazy scaring off all the birds: Osprey, Laughing Gulls and their Allies, Forster Terns, American Oystercatchers, Sanderlings, and the endangered Least Tern and Piping Plovers.
Luckily it was high tide.  If it had been low tide...... the damage done to the mud-flats and foraging birds would have been horrific.
The DNREC Ranger hiked carefully into The Point, ~ 2 miles walk, avoiding the nesting areas, and finally "got" and ticked the trespassers.  I estimate it was ~ $300 fine per person, dog and boat! 
  So proud to make some cash for the good State of Delaware.

No comments:

Post a Comment