Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Seal Sighting & MERR

Only 24 hours after my 5 hour MERR volunteer orientation and Seal Stranding Workshop did I sight my first Delaware Seal! If it was not for the workshop I still would have wondered what peered at me from Neptune's Depth. Was it human? Alive or dead? Lewes is rich with the Sea-Witch tales. Was this the Sea Witch herself greeting me?
I was at Cape Henlopen State Park, halfway between the Hawk Watch platform and Herring Point, walking along a calm shore-line, drinking in the sunshine. Then out of the corner of my eye, a dark watery and glistening face appeared. Only off ~ 30 feet, I saw a "wet-suited" head, with wide set eyes, and a pug-nose with chubby whiskered cheeks. The creature, stared me in the eyes, opened his mouth, and sniffed!
My training says: A Harbor Seal, and most likely a young'un.

Beach Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. How exciting...I was in town today...sorry I missed that moment. Joni

    ReplyDelete