Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Small Kitchen Stories: Warm Cottage: Apple & Pear Sauce

 Forgotten Mile's Boze's Flower and Produce Market is closed now ~ 3 years.  I shopped there every weekend.  The store delighted me with Delmarva fare, always  homemade: refrigerator cucumber pickles, chicken salad, crab stuffed eggs.  Local jams, my childhood favorite; Beach Plum, lined the shelves.  The staff was beyond good natured and everyone was called, " Honey".
~ Three Beach Seasons ago, I pulled into the parking lot but the store was no longer there.  A fun and chic home decor shop was in it's place.  I entered the new establishment which was not quite up and running and inquired:
 "Where is Boze's"?
"They are gone"
"Where did they go?  They must have gone somewhere?"
"They are closed.  They sold out".
Tears streamed down my face. 
Mourning the loss of this Delmarva Gem I declared:
 " I will be my OWN Boze's!".
Luckily I only had to "Be My Own Boze" for one Beach Season before my beloved Fifer's Local Fresh Market arrived!  

Ode to Boze's: The Boss Sauce: Apple & Pear.

Apples and Pears: equal portions.  Guessing about 2 quarts.  
For the apples, Romes are nice.  For the Pears, any variety or mixture will do just fine.
Wash.
Slice and quartered.  Discard the cores.
Sugar: ~ 1/2 cup
Lemon: 1, washed and quartered.
Water: ~ 2 cups
Cardamom Pods: 4
Cinnamon Bark: 1 small piece
Foodmill with the strainer
In a big comfy pot add in all of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer ~ 30 to 40 minutes until nice and soft.  Let cool.  Pick out the lemon peels and the cinnamon bark.
Put the mixture into a Foley Foodmill and crank it up!
Mmnn, serve warm and enjoy.
Mnnn, serve cold and enjoy!


Beach Blessings,




No comments:

Post a Comment