Friday, November 13, 2009

Small Kitchen Stories: Warm Cottage: Lentil Stewy-Soup with Chicken-Apple Sausage


Oh, Dewey Beach! Oh; Venus Restaurant where I had my "settled on my beach cottage celebration dinner". Venus who was born of the Sea, Daughter of Neptune, overflows her bay to meet the Ocean!
Shall I placate with this Soup Offering?
After the Friday The 13th, Storm Ida, I'd be begging to make this dinner or to have it delivered to my doorstep!
The One-Stop-Shop Rte One shopping continues with a quest and request for: Lentil Soup.
Lord only knows how long it has been since I made anything-lentil.  ~ 15 years?
Same parameter challenges to meet: hearty, totally delicious, cheap, easy!

BIG POT: mine was too small
Olive Oil, 1 ladle
Lentils, brown: rinsed
*1-16 oz package for Stew or 1/2 package-8 oz for Soup
 ** I suggest using only 1/2 bag or 8 oz.  This "soup" once made thickens like crazy!
Onion, 1 chopped
Garlic, 2 cloves minced
Chicken Apple Sausage, pre-cooked, 1 package: El Fiesta brand
Vegetable Broth, Organic, 1 quart: Pacific bran
Mushrooms: big handful chopped
Parsley, flat leaf, rinsed and minced
Big Can Tomatoes, 28 oz, Nature's Promise brand
Water, 3 cups
Red Wine, 1/2 cup
Apple, 1, peeled and chopped
Bay Leaf, small half
Marjoram and Thyme to taste
Honey, 1 big teaspoon
Yogurt, as a garnish

In a BIG pot, pour in the olive oil.  Add in the onion, garlic and let it get some color, add in the mushrooms and sausage and brown up.  Add in everything else.
Stir often!
Simmer for ~ 45 minutes.
Garnish with the Yogurt.

Ta Da!




No comments:

Post a Comment