Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lewes Trick or Treat: Terrified Children!

Let's face it. 400 year old Lewes is beautiful by day and spooky at night. Flower-potted tiny yards jumble up against graveyards. The entire town revs up for the event. The Fire House members in full gear "costume" hand out candy!
Last year I drove thru Lewes on Trick or Treat evening before meeting up with friends for dinner at Bethany Blues. Big mistake. The town was out on the street making driving terrifying. Yet the drive thru yielded a sight from the Victorian age. 2010 I determined, I'd walk the town.
I swooped into my secret parking space which it seems is not so secret. My goal was to take in King's Highway with its parade of Victorian homes fronted with comfy porches which keep company with at least two graveyards.
The comfy porches were transformed into stages of mini-Haunts of Horror complete with moving mechanical ghouls, light, and music to match.
One porch had to be approached thru a dark yard and a human "ghoul" waved in the kids. Scared me it did!
At another home not only did you have to get past the scary porch but you had to enter the living-room where a family of adult drinking ghouls offered the treats.
Nearly all the children were scared to bits and so was I.

Trick or Treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment